Fall is in the air here in Utah. Last weekend, we received a beautiful 15″+ of snow at our Snowbird Helipad. We are anticipating a great 2018/2019 winter here at Powderbird and are looking forward to the start of heli-skiing season.
Holiday Dates Are Selling Out Fast:
With the new snowfall getting everyone excited about skiing and snowboarding, we are starting to see the winter holiday and peak season dates book up quickly. Now is the time to book your heli-skiing seats and reserve your Utah ski vacation before we sell out. We still have limited seats available during the following popular winter holidays:
- Christmas Week
- New Years Week
- Martin Luther King Weekend
- Valentine’s Day
- President’s Week
Reserve Your Utah Heli-Skiing Package Today:
We offer a variety of heli-skiing packages ranging from individual seating options, private group adventures, or a fully private chartered helicopter; the pinnacle of heli-skiing. Whether you’re looking to fly out of our Park City Clubhouse location or our Snowbird Heliport, we are able to accommodate a wide range of our guest’s desires.
Book online or call a Sales Concierge at 801-742-2800 to reserve your seats.
Best Times of Year for Heli-Skiing:
If you’re interested in heli-skiing during a non-holiday weekend, we also have individual and group heli-skiing packages available throughout the entire season, flying out of Park City and Snowbird. So when is the best time of year to go heli-skiing in Utah? The short answer is whenever possible. Here in Utah, powder conditions are generally suitable from mid-December through mid-April.
Here are some things to consider when booking your Utah heli-skiing trip:
- December 15th – January 15th: This time of year is considered early season as it provides the season’s first large snowstorms. Depending on the year’s snowfall, operations can be limited as we pick out terrain that has ample coverage. This can be a great time to take advantage of large storms that often frequent the region.
- January 15th – March 15th: This is our peak season. While conditions can vary throughout the season, generally this time of year offers the most consistent and reliable conditions for heli-skiing and snowboarding. For guests joining us in January and February, the lower sun angle and shorter days promote cold temperatures, thus preserving the snow many days after a storm. Guests joining us in March are often greeted by warm temps and a monsoonal flow that brings large storms to the area.
- March 15th – April 15th: This is considered our late season. During this time of year, conditions and temperatures can vary. We often receive intense spring storms that bring many feet of snow to the mountains, as well as warm high-pressure systems that create perfect corn skiing conditions. For guests that are looking to enjoy the high-alpine experience of “Corn Skiing”, this is the time of year to seek out those fantastic backcountry conditions.
What Should You Bring for Heli-Skiing?
Once you’ve booked your Utah heli-skiing trip, you may wonder “What do I need to bring?”
Similar to skiing or snowboarding at a resort, all guests should come prepared with outerwear, ski/snowboard boots, skis/snowboards and anything else you need for a day on the mountain. If you forget to pack something, we have a full retail shop with goggles, gloves, ski socks, and clothing available. Don’t forget to check out our 2018 Gear Guide for the latest and greatest heli-skiing gear.
Items to pack:*
- Skis or snowboard
- Ski/snowboard boots
- Helmet (recommended, but not required)
- Comfortable shoes
- Any pertinent medications
- A few warm layers
Do you need powder skis and are they available for rent? Yes & yes! Whether you’re an intermediate or expert skier, it is highly recommended to use skis wider than 110mm underfoot when heli-skiing with Powderbird. If you need ski rentals, we have you covered. We offer K2 powder skis which are available for $50/day. Let your Powderbird sales concierge know that you’d like rental skis when you book. Alternatively, rental skis can be organized on the morning of your heli-skiing adventure. If you wish to rent powder skis, please bring your traditional downhill ski boots with you. Alpine touring (AT) boot soles are not compliant with our bindings. At this time, we do not offer ski boot or snowboard rentals.
*Powderbird provides necessary safety equipment to each guest including a beacon, probe, shovel, and airbag backpack. We also provide meals, snacks, and beverages throughout the day.